The Oak Glen Vineyard is situated near a grove of majestic Oak trees on the eastern side of the Napa Valley floor. This 25-acre parcel on Silverado Trail is between the towns of Napa and Yountville in the Oak Knoll District. The soils are gravelly with excellent drainage to the Napa River. A seasonal creek divides the property and creates a small "island" and secluded grove of oaks.
This idyllic setting has been a glorious homesite since the early 1900's and also served as pastureland for grazing cattle belonging to the nearby Stanley Dairy. In 1948, Hermosa and Louise Smith bought the property and began farming it. Smith was a sea captain who took to farming, raising pigs and growing wheat on the acreage. From the late 1960's and through the 70's, the Silva family enjoyed the shade of oak glen on the Napa River. They removed some of the oaks and planted the first grapes in the late 1960's. In 1980 an investment group purchased the property, removed the last three oak trees on the north east block and replanted the vineyard.
In 1996, Whitehall Lane Winery purchased the property and again replanted the vineyard because of phylloxera. With good draining, gravelly soils and all day sun exposure, it was decided to replant the property to Cabernet Sauvignon on the eastern side and Sauvignon Blanc on the western edge. The vineyard was replanted in the Summer of 1998.