In the late 1800's, Napa Valley settlers were drawn to the soils and ideal climate, planting grapevines at the Whitehall Lane Winery site well before the turn of last century. The vineyard changed hands a number of times over the years. Guiseppe and Rosalie Baranzini owned the property for a number of years in the 1940's and 1950's. In the mid-1970's, Davis Bynum Winery controlled the property and sold it to Howard Allen. Allen made an unsuccessful bid to put a winery on the property and then sold it to Art Finkelstein and Alan Steen in 1979. It was Finkelstein and Steen who successfully founded Whitehall Lane Winery on the 25-acre vineyard. It is now owned by the Leonardini Family who replanted the vineyard in 1994.
The Estate Vineyard is planted to Merlot, Sauvignon Blanc and Orange Muscat. The Merlot makes up the largest planting of approximately 12.11 acres in four separate blocks, planted on three different rootstocks and employing two types of trellis systems. The Sauvignon Blanc is also planted on three rootstocks and utilizes a quadrilateral trellis system. The smallest planting is one acre of Orange Muscat grapes that are used to make Whitehall Lane's Belmuscato Dessert Wine.